The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a Europe-wide law that sets out requirements for how organisations will need to process personal data from 25 May 2018. Our privacy notice tells you what to expect when you visit the Alien CSI website.
Who we are (the Data controller)
This website is hosted by the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH) in the UK on behalf of the COST Action CA17122: Increasing Understanding of Alien Species through Citizen Science, or Alien CSI.
The name and contact details of our parent organisation:
UK Research and Innovation
Please see the UKRI privacy notice.
The CEH Data Protection Officer is Mark Hinder - UKRI NERC.
Participants of this COST Action and visitors to the website.
What information about you do we handle, why do we handle that information, what is the legal basis to process that information and how long will we retain that information?
On top of the personal data collected and processed by the COST Association in the framework of this COST Action, for which you can consult the privacy notice for e-COST, we process the following:
When you visit the Alien CSI website
We may collect the following information about you:
- the IP address used to connect your computer to the Internet
- your time zone setting
- your Internet provider
- your name, address, email address, telephone number, organisation, where you have specifically provided this information on a web submission form.
We may also collect the following information about your visit:
- the full Uniform Resource Locators etc.
- the pages you viewed, including our products and software pages
- page response times
- length of visits to certain pages
- page interaction information (such as clicks, downloads, web form submissions).
We will use this information to provide the best possible service to our web users. It allows us to administer our site, including our efforts to keep it safe and secure, and to carry out internal operations including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, and statistical research. This means we can improve our website to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you.
Your web browser has settings which allow you to manage these small files yourself by removing or blocking cookies. Learn more about them through advice on the AboutCookies website.
As a COST Action Participant,
Based on your consent (article 6.1.a) of the GDPR), we may:
- publish your contact details on our COST Action Alien CSI website and other communications tools or publications for communication purposes;
- take and use pictures/videos where you appear taken or made during a meeting or event of or related to the COST Action Alien CSI on the COST Action Alien CSI website and other communications tools or publications for communication purposes.
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Withdrawing your consent means that the collected personal data will not be used any longer. However, use made of your data in the past remains valid.
When you email us, chat with us or otherwise contact us
We process your contact details, when required, in order to provide you with the requested support. This data processing is based on your consent (article 6.1.a of the GDPR).
When you register for newsletters
Based on your consent (article 6.1.a of the GDPR):
When you sign up to the Alien CSI newsletter, your information is hosted by our email supplier Mailchimp. Data is processed under the legal basis of consent and will be used for the purpose of sending emails and assessing activity on the emails we send. Data you provide us may be used for statistical reporting with the aim of continually improving our service to you. You can withdraw your consent from our newsletter mailing list at any time.
Based on our legitimate interests or those of the COST Association (article 6.1.f of the GDPR), we gather statistics around email opening and clicks using industry standard technologies including clear gifs. This information is only processed in a way which does not identify anyone.
When you register for events
Based on your consent (article 6.1.a) of the GDPR):
When you register for events, we collect your identification data (name, first name, title, email address, and phone numbers) and professional data (position and institution).
When you register for events, we also ask you,
- whether you have special dietary requirements or other specific needs. Those data are collected for the organisation of the event.
We do not keep your dietary requirements or other mentioned specific needs for longer than the event.
- whether you are in agreement with us,
- to include your contact details in the list of participants to the event that is made available on the COST Action website / to all participants for networking purposes;
- to take and use pictures during the event for promotional and information purposes.
Not providing your consent for taking pictures is without impact on your participation to events, workshops or webinars.
The data we collect are kept as long as you do not oppose to it.
Use of service providers and transfer to third parties
We use third party providers (Mailchimp and Google) to deliver our newsletters and our web analytics. These data processors cannot do anything with your personal information unless we have instructed them to do it. We do not transfer your data for commercial purposes.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (GDPR), you have rights as an individual which you can exercise in relation to the information we hold about you:
- right to request from us access to and rectification of your personal data;
- right to request erasure of your data (right to be forgotten) in the cases foreseen by article 17 of the GDPR;
- right to obtain from us restriction of processing where there is contestation about the data processing for a period enabling to solve the issue;
- right to data portability;
- where the processing of your personal data is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent means that we will not make use of your data any longer, including pictures. However, use made of your data in the past remains valid.
Your right to object
You have the right to object on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time to processing of your personal data which is based on Article 6(1), (f) of the GDPR (our legitimate purposes) as mentioned above.
To exercise those rights, please send us an email to email@example.com together with a proof of your identity, or write us to the following address:
Alien CSI project
Oxon OX10 8BB
Please note that you always have the right to lodge a complaint with the Supervisory authority of the EU country of your choice.